Zlatan Ibrahimovic is one of the most entertaining footballers in the world -- both on and off the pitch. From unimaginable strikes to outrageous comments, he constantly keeps us on our toes.
Even if you aren’t familiar with Zlatan’s skillset as a professional footballer, his personality is often times so ridiculous that people assume it’s all an act. He has a reputation for his outspokenness and confident attitude and recently deemed himself a “gift” to Los Angeles.
Ibrahimovic has played in Sweden (Malmö, FBK Balkan), the Netherlands (Ajax), Italy (Juventus, Inter Milan, AC Milan), Spain (FC Barcelona), and France (Paris Saint-Germain). From Paris, Ibrahimovic joined Manchester United and after a couple of seasons in England, he signed with LA Galaxy where he became the 2018 newcomer of the year in Major League Soccer.
As soon as I heard the news that Zlatan was going to Los Angeles, I felt as though there was no better combination of athlete and city. This guy is and has always been, one of the true personalities in sports, as much a character as he is a star goal-scorer. His personality makes him the kind of athlete that anyone – whether they like his sport or not – would be intrigued by once they saw just a snippet of what he is like.
It’s about that time we compile a top 10 list of Ibrahimovic’s best quotes.
To start the list off, the Galaxy No. 9 told media immediately following a match versus Toronto FC’s Michael Bradley that he "thinks he is the philosopher of football.”
- "I have more goals than he has games," Ibrahimovic said after scoring his 500th career goal. "He should follow my rules."
- "First I went left; he did too. Then I went right and he did too. Then I went left again and he went to buy a hot dog." On how he twisted Liverpool defender Stephane Henchoz inside-out.
- "What do you mean, 'present?' She got Zlatan." On his ex-girlfriend's engagement gift.
- "I don't believe they can change the Eiffel Tower for my statue, even the people behind the club. But if they can, I will stay here -- I promise you." On his future with PSG.
- "If [Wayne Rooney] still wants to move next summer, or in January, I would urge him to come and play with me in Paris ... If he did join, he would have to get used to the fact that Zlatan scores even better goals than him."
- "I think I'm like wine. The older I get, the better I get."
- 35. "If I had played in England I would have destroyed it as I have everywhere else."
- "I can't help but laugh at how perfect I am."
- "Swedish style? No. Yugoslavian style? Of course not. It has to be Zlatan-style.
- The famous exchange with a reporter ahead of the 2014 World Cup qualifying playoffs:
Zlatan: "Only God knows who will go through."
Reporter: "It's hard to ask him."
Zlatan: "You're talking to him."
Never change, Zlatan.